Tuesday, May 13, 2008

New Tank Bag

About a week ago my new SW-MOTECH tank bag showed up and I am very pleased with the result. It uses a special locking ring that mounts to the outer ring of the gas cap. It came with some new screws for the gas cap and I mounted that up easy enough. The bag then has a big plastic ring that attaches to the metal ring mounted to the gas cap. This assures a nice firm mount that allows for easy removal. The best part is that the whole thing sits up just slightly off the gas tank so there is nothing to scratch up my paint. The bag initially comes with the mounting ring unattached so it allowed me to position the bag exactly where I wanted it, then drill the holes and mount it up myself so it fits my bike perfectly. Everything was going smoothly until I noticed that two of the supplied bolts for mounting the ring to the bag were shorter than the other two and it was enough of a difference to make them unusable as I could not get the locking nuts to thread on as there just wasn't enough room. Fortunately Home Depot had exactly what I needed and I was able to get it taken care of easy enough. So now my tank bag is all mounted up and ready to go for my big trip. It's not very big, but that's fine, it really only needs to store some small stuff like my camera and my cell phone. I've got the huge tail bag and saddlebags for the big stuff.

The bike is in the shop right now getting the new pipes installed, but it'll be done tomorrow so expect some more pics of the bitchin new Termis in the next day or two!

Here are some pics of the new tank bag:




1 comment:

Hurtdog said...

Looks good man, say hi to Chris if you swing through there, and make sure to get a new pic of the faux peeing in the Grand Canyon!