Saturday, July 21, 2007

Day One - Sunday June 17

The start of my big journey began in some rather cold nasty weather. I'm very glad that I wore my thermal leggings and black turtleneck to keep me warm because it started raining about a half hour into my trip. I took off first thing in the morning around 7am and headed out to the coast through Shelton. Once I made it to 101 I just started heading South into Oregon. I stopped off at Cannon Beach for a few pictures then continued on to the Tillamook cheese factory where I stopped for lunch. Being Sunday they weren't actively making any cheese, but all the machinery was still running. It was a little odd seeing everything running with no people and no cheese moving around. Got some of their fantastic blackberry ice cream and headed out once again.

This stretch of 101 was probably the worst of the day. Being that it was a Sunday, and Father's Day even, there was a ton of traffic so I wasn't able to go very fast or pass hardly anyone. Even if I did pass a car or two there was another line of traffic just ahead. I stopped again in Newport at the Rogue brewery for a bit of a break. Got in some rest and a pint of beer. From there I just made my way to Coos Bay and then took a few back roads out to Coquille and then back down to Bandon where I found a little motel to spend the night. It was a pretty long day, rode about 440 miles, but the scenery along the coast was fantastic even if I was trapped in traffic all day.

Day One Route

Pictures


Cannon Beach
Haystack Rock
Cheese!
Beer!

No comments: