Thursday, May 31, 2007

Planning...

So now that my trip to Mexico is over I can focus on planning my trip down to California which is coming up in just about 2 weeks. I've ordered a new pair of riding pants that I plan on wearing, as well as a replacement for my left mirror. About 2 months ago I smacked my left mirror pulling my bike out of the garage and it broke the lens, but the metal housing was still intact. I took it down to a local glass company and they put in a replacement mirror for me for only $5, but it was totally the wrong kind of glass. It actually magnified what I was looking at, instead of the reverse like rear view mirrors are supposed to be. This made it fucking impossible to mount properly so I could get a good view of what was behind me. In addition to that, whatever he used to affix the mirror to the housing wasn't very good as the mirror itself vibrated quite a bit. So I just said fuck it and bought a whole new mirror assembly for $40.

I also had to order a new set of shield housings for my helmet! On Tuesday as I was coming into work I lifted up my visor so the guard could see me and the tabs holding the shield covers on both sides of my helmet popped at the same time! Basically there are two plastic panels, on on each side, that cover up the mechanics where the face shield attaches to the helmet. Those are held in place by two plastic tabs, one on top and one on bottom. Well, the top ones both broke on me so I had to order a new set which should be covered under the warranty, I'll find out in a day or two when they come in. I ordered a second set just so I have a backup. I really don't want to have this happen when I'm riding down to California.

The weather has been absolutely PERFECT all week, and it looks to stay that way all weekend. Bright and sunny with temps in the mid-low 70s, perfect riding weather. I haven't had a chance to get out and ride much this week, but I have a three day weekend to catch up. I also scheduled a service visit down at the motorcycle shop for next week so they can give my bike a good check before I take it out to put a couple thousand miles on it. I should spend some time finalizing my route this weekend and print out some of the maps. Buying a couple traditional paper maps would be a good idea as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do you plan on hauling all of your shit on this trip?